This is an easy recipe that is tasty and helps to use up some of that holiday ham you don't know what to do with. I call it Quinoa Breakfast Scramble.
If you've never had quinoa before, it's a wonderful "super grain " that you may surely want to add to your kitchen pantry as it has many health benefits. There are a variety of ways to eat it. It's comparable to the way most people eat rice; an any meal of the day food. My kids love it...and even if they didn't, quinoa is an easy food to sneak into other foods they do love. Learn more about quinoa here: All About Quinoa
Here is the recipe for my Quinoa Breakfast Scramble:
Here's what you will need (to serve 3-4):
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper
- 4 eggs beaten (add salt/pepper to taste OR a few sprinkles of Mrs. Dash Original Salt Free Blend)
- 1-2 slices OR 1/4 cup of shredded muenster cheese
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1 red potato cubed
- Scallions to garnish
- Chicken bullion cube
- Boil quinoa in 1 cup of water or chicken broth (an alternative to broth is to use 1 chicken bullion cube)
- In a separate pan using medium heat, sauté bell-pepper and ham for 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs
- After eggs begin to solidify add in (already cooked) quinoa
- Cook to your liking and then top with cheese. (can add scallions and or paprika)
- Serve while hot.